2011. Not a great year. Discovered moisture damage to the house in several locations due to my not-so-good construction/electrical practices. Cost me some money and a ton of work and grief. Affected both corners of the house where the greenhouse attaches and even managed to cause issues on our front freaking porch!
2011 - Moisture damage. Not real proud of all this but poo happens and you just grit your teeth and don't stop until it's fixed. This piece will definitely be in a blog entry. But in a nutshell, I removed all of the siding from the home inside the greenhouse. I then used some heavy duty industrial products for patching and sealing. So any avenue where moisture could possibly make its way into the home was sealed. Very labor intensive and I hated every freaking minute of this application. Had to call in outside help for the major repairs to the home. It was just way beyond my skill levels, time, and patience.
2013 - There was one project left over from the moisture damage that I did not get to in 2011. It took me this long to muster up the courage and attitude necessary to tackle this one. The wooden sill beneath the greenhouse sliding door had to be replaced. It had been bombarded by moisture and heat and the corners were rotting away...exactly where the largest support beams of the structure rest on. Redwood is fine in every application except mine. I should never had any kind of wood anywhere near this structure. I replaced the redwood with 100% recycled plastic lumber. Let's see that rot anytime soon!
*Please remember, all photos published on this website, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted and property of Tropical Fruit Hunters and Jay Cotterman. If you want to use one of them please contact me first. Thanks!